Sep 20, 2023 12:00AM
Scaling to $20M on Amazon? Crack the top keywords with PPC, listen to your customers, optimize your product photos, nail that title, and don't ignore off-Amazon traffic. These five tips can help you challenge market leaders and scale successfully. Thanks, Jon.
Had a call with an Amazon seller looking to go from $10 million to $20 million and chip away at the dominance of Zesty Paws, the brand that exited for $610 million a few years ago.
Here are the 5 pieces of advice I shared:
1. PPC Domination: Zesty Paws and a few others were absolutely dominating the top 25 keywords by search volume and this seller wasn't even bothering! I instructed them to dramatically increase PPC budgets and be OK with loss leaders for those top keywords that look bad on paper but product a nice "halo effect" for organic ranking.
2. Listen to the Customer: The seller has an amazing product, but the formulation was completely wrong. Customers want EASE! Their next steps were to go from a messy delivery to a simple dog chew like Zesty Paws. Don't listen to Mark Cuban, the customer knows what they want.
3. Elite Photos That Convert: Your pictures are ever good enough. This is no place for contentment. You have to ALWAYS be improving and be 5 steps ahead of your competitors. This seller was way behind. Some of the changes this seller made was removing distractions from their hero image, reducing text on infographic images, adding a feeding instructions image, and nailing an "Us vs. Them" picture showing damning visuals.
4. Titles Still Matter: In terms of importance, your title is place #1 for high search volume keywords, then it's your search terms, then bullets, then A+ content. This seller had all types of strong marketing language but very few keywords that drove search traffic. They felt unsure about this but once they saw the traffic flood in, they didn't care anymore.
5. Off-Amazon is King: PPC is never enough. This seller had yet to utilize any off-Amazon traffic sources like social media ads, TikTok influencers, and even Lightning Deals on Amazon. That's fixed now.
Scaling from 7 to 8 to 9 figures a year on Amazon is incredibly hard, yet I see brad owners achieve this on a regular basis.
The key is to ALWAYS be improving your brand and product quality while always listening to customer feedback and observing what the big players are doing. Don’t steal their ideals. Mimic and put your own spin on it!
Use these 5 pieces of advice with your brand and adapt accordingly. Winning on Amazon is not easy but it’s within grasp.
As always, feel free to ask any questions and I’ll get to them today!